Australian zoo keeper new to Sweden, guidance needed!

SÖK
Logga in för att posta i forumet
Sida av 2

Jeremy:
Hello everyone, hope you do not mind me posting here in English!

My name is Jeremy and I am a recent arrival to Sweden and could use some help and guidance. Originally I am from Australia and am now on the difficult task of finding employment here in Sweden.

The reason I am posting on this forum is because I have a great interest and hands on experience both keeping reptiles/amphibians for many years and also working as a reptile zoo keeper. It is my hope that someone may read this that could offer some advice to help me pursue my goals here or even better a working opportunity. Of course a reptile/animal related job would be great but at this stage I am willing to take any opportunity I can to establish myself here in Sweden.

I am more than happy to send a more formal cover letter, CV and references to anyone interested to outline my experience and knowledge. I already have residence and working permission and am ready to start. All opportunities to work interest me including short term, seasonal, part time or full time employment.

Thanks everyone, thought I would also share a few photos seeing as you are taking the time to read this

Cheers,
Jeremy

bushman:
Hi and welcome to the forum mate.
where in Sweden do you live?
and are you're looking for jobs all over the country or only in the area you live?

S

Jeremy:
Hey thanks for the warm welcome mate!

Good question I should of mentioned that I am looking all over Sweden so all job offers are of interest!

Cheers,
Jeremy

Danne:

I think it's quite hard to find a position as a zoo keeper in Sweden. You could try to email various animal parks/zoo's, they might be interested if you have the right experience and education. There's Tropicarium (www.tropicarium.se/) which has only exotic animals. That would probably be my first choise (:

Wrethager:

Welcome to Sweden bro! I hope you'll love our country ^.^

Unforunately, as mentioned above - we do not have that many sanctuary or zookeeping jobs available. Much due to the climate and Sweden being a small country... Furthermore, it's also quite essential that you've acquired some sort of education; attending a university or some school of sort.

Small demand, great competition. 

I hope you have more luck in finding a job in Sweden than I had finding one in Australia that does not include slave labour and fruit picking xD 

Love the pics by the way! Which territory are you from? Queensland? :3

Jeremy:
Hi Danne,
I agree on that point which is why I am very open to all opportunities to work. This is one of many ways I am trying to get myself out there and find work hopefully in my field, leaving no stone unturned as they say. Sending some emails onto smaller animal parks/tropical houses is a good idea and I actually have sent a few out already. Working in smaller reptile/tropical houses appeals to me greatly also.

Don't suppose anyone could link me to a good list of these zoos/parks/houses? I may have missed some in my searches.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Jeremy:
Hi Wrethager thanks for that!

It is a universal that these jobs are very competitive, I know this from my own efforts to become a keeper back in Australia. It is my hope that my prior experience as a zoo keeper and other experience can be recognised and someone can give me a chance to prove that I am worth it! I may have to work in an unrleated job until I have a good grasp of the language, but I will keep on trying! Even working in a pet store that has reptiles/aquariums etc would be of interest to me!

I am from Sydney which is in New South Wales by the way.

Danne:

Your prior experience will give you a huge leap toward a position in your field. Most cities have a pet store of some sort, and then there's smaller businesses. This website has a list of some of those: check out "Information" > "Butiker & Tropikhus".

And then, some of the swedish zoos:

Borås Zoo: www.boraszoo.se/

Kolmården: www.kolmarden.com/

Nordens Ark: www.nordensark.se/

Skånes djurpark: www.skanesdjurpark.se/Home.aspx

Skansen: www.skansen.se/sv

Also, I don't think you will have to worry about any language problems. Swedes are generally good at english (:

Jeremy:
Thanks for that Danne, should be able to send some more emails out and see what happens. It's been good so far getting around with only English, no problems at all. But I will continue learning Svenska and integrate well soon. Will be nice when I can read it well enough to contribute here on terrariedjur!

Gogs:
Some other parks and places where they keep animals of different sorts (not all of the zoo's listed keep reptiles though)

parkenzoo.se/
www.orsabjornpark.se/
www.jarvzoo.se/
www.frosozoo.se/
www.lyckseledjurpark.se/
www.djurparken-hbg.se/
www.ystaddjurpark.se/
www.universeum.se/

edit: At Universeum they have the coolest animal on earth.... a Sloth :D
Logga in för att posta i forumet
Sida av 2
Redigera inlägg
Kom ihåg att följa terrariedjur.se's regler när du postar i forumet.
Infoga youtubeklipp
Klistra in adressen till youtube-klippet nedan: (exempel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaOjDr6H0fI)

Laddar upp och infogar bild