Trying to get into the hobby here in Sweden.

SÖK
Logga in för att posta i forumet
Sida av 1

LeeAnn:
Hello!  Sorry for the English but I am currently learning Swedish.  

I'm wondering about getting into the hobby of snakes.  What's the expenses like here in Sweden?  What's the average price of a Pantherophis guttatus, any memeber of the Thamnophis family, or even a member from the Lampropeltis family?  I will go as big as a Python regius but nothing bigger.  

I have space.
I have an ok budget.  
I live in Gävle and willing to travel to find proper veternarian care.

I have done my research on care, another reason I'm keeping things on the smaller end.

Thank you for your time.  

ps. I have found a shop near me that can supply food and any upgrades I need but when it comes to pricing and expenses I'd rather talk to keepers themselves.

ApeMan:
Are you looking at getting a resque/placement snake or getting a hatchling to raise yourself?

My first recommendation as a fairly fresh keeper is to look for enclosures on the second hand market. That's the best way if you want to save money. I've had loads of fun building some for myself as well, but that takes time and space as well. So it all depends.

If you have specific questions I'd be happy to help, and live in Sandviken (really close to Gävle, if you didn't know).

Best of luck to you!

LeeAnn:
@ApeMan I dmed you but not sure if you got it. 

Coco fiber or chips?  Or both?  I have tarantulas so the enclosure issues aren't a problem.   

I heard something about hibernation.  Any risks to expect from that? 

Monthly expenses?  I imagine substrate and food.  Anything else?  

I also heard about eating being an issue sometimes as they get older.  

I'm looking at possiblely getting adults.  

Medlem i SkHF
NellyNiklas:
LeeAnn skrev:
Hello!  Sorry for the English but I am currently learning Swedish.  

I'm wondering about getting into the hobby of snakes.  What's the expenses like here in Sweden?  What's the average price of a Pantherophis guttatus, any memeber of the Thamnophis family, or even a member from the Lampropeltis family?  I will go as big as a Python regius but nothing bigger.  

I have space.
I have an ok budget.  
I live in Gävle and willing to travel to find proper veternarian care.

I have done my research on care, another reason I'm keeping things on the smaller end.

Thank you for your time.  

ps. I have found a shop near me that can supply food and any upgrades I need but when it comes to pricing and expenses I'd rather talk to keepers themselves.

Welcome to the forum!

Out of those genus you mentioned, you will have the most luck finding the P. guttatus and Thamnophis. The Lampropeltis are a bit tricky as several species and sub species are banned in the EU due to environmental issues in southern Europe. 

The monthly expenses are mainly food and electricity. As far as substrate goes I would look into something more "bio active". That way you don't have near as much "work" to do keeping everything sanitary. 

BR
Niklas
Logga in för att posta i forumet
Sida av 1
Redigera inlägg
Kom ihåg att följa terrariedjur.se's regler när du postar i forumet.
Infoga youtubeklipp
Klistra in adressen till youtube-klippet nedan: (exempel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaOjDr6H0fI)

Laddar upp och infogar bild